Wedding Venue Fact File: Harefield Barn, Devon
12 Dec 2019
The venue with the view; have your wedding day your way at Harefield Barn in Crediton
Image: Sam Box Photography
Just 10 minutes from Exeter, Harefield Barn feels like it’s a world away. Located on the family farm in the beautiful Devon countryside, this carefully designed venue has flexibility and personal service at its heart.
Making the most of its elevated position, Harefield Barn is flooded with light from the huge expanse of windows providing fabulous far reaching views over Devon’s rolling hills. The terrace gives way to lawned areas, great for those garden games and children’s play, and is flanked by a wildflower meadow and cornfield with cider orchards nearby, making it perfect for some very special photos.
Harefield Barn has a fresh modern appearance but has plenty of characterful features such as exposed beams in the hall and cosy wood-burning stove in the bar. Once described as ‘barn chic’, the decoration is kept to a minimum so couples can use it as a blank canvas to create their own style of event should they wish. Underfloor heating throughout makes it perfect whatever the weather, and on a lovely day, bifold doors open onto the terrace from both the bar and main hall, making it a truly inside and outside venue.
Versatility is key, and no less than seven different locations are licensed for marriage ceremonies ranging from 2 to 150 people. There are five beautiful village churches within three miles, so Harefield Barn makes the perfect spot for a fabulous rustic reception.
The largest of the licenced spaces is the Main Hall for up to 150 people and there is an additional ceremony room (The Tallet) upstairs for up to 100. The Tallet also provides a great flexible space for everything from children’s entertainment to a chill-out area during the festivities.
Smaller licenced areas include the bar (for up to 50) or the Gallery which overlooks the Main Hall and can be used for a more intimate ceremony for up to 30 people. The glazed balustrade even gives you the option to get married on the Gallery with your friends and family watching from the Main Hall below (and, of course, the perfect spot from which to launch your bouquet into the arms of the ladies in waiting).
Image: Jenny & Hannah Wedding Photography
The Clock House offers a truly romantic option for outdoor ceremonies. The open sided oak building frames the fabulous views of the rolling countryside beyond while your guests are seated on the terrace before you.
The final two licensed areas are the large light filled porch for up to 12 and the Leveret Suite, licensed for 10. The Leveret Suite, however, is so much more. Furnished in the style of a comfortable drawing room, it has ample space for the bride and her party to prepare, with lots of light for hair and make-up artists, and is perfect for stunning getting ready photos. It has Juliet balcony style doors with far reaching views towards Exeter, and, of course, mirrors aplenty.
It can be used as a charming sitting room for couples to escape to for five minutes' peace during their hectic day, or for more senior members of the family in the evening, or even to house a travel cot for the little ones.
Flexibility is the name of Harefield Barn's game. Couples aren't tied down to any particular suppliers, allowing you to create the truly bespoke wedding of your dreams. If you want the full formal experience, that’s great, but if you would prefer to be more casual with a barbecue, sharing boards or street food, then that’s great too. The team will be there every step of the way to help you with your arrangements beforehand and on the big day.
Harefield Barn is a truly family business, and the team want to keep it that way. In order to maintain the personal nature of what is offered, a limited number of weddings are hosted each year so each one can be given the attention it deserves. Therefore, only extended hire periods are offered at Harefield Barn, giving you time to relax and enjoy the experience of a lifetime.
- 2020 mid week (Tuesday to Thursday): £4,000; Weekend: (Friday to Sunday): £6,000
- 2021 mid week (Tuesday to Thursday): £4,200; Weekend: (Friday to Sunday): £6,600
All prices include VAT at 20%. A deposit of £1,000 is payable on booking.
Included in your hire:
- Exclusive use of Harefield Barn and its grounds for the duration of your booking
- Free car parking for up to 60-70 cars
- Underfloor heating throughout the downstairs area with a wood-burning stove in the bar, which has lots of comfortable seating for that extra cosy feeling (first box of logs free - more on request)
- Circular tables and chairs to seat 96 (eight per table) or 120 (10 per table) plus three high chairs
- All glassware for your event (up to five glasses per person), and bar facilities is provided for £30/hour
- Large catering kitchen fully equipped for your own caterer (more details on request)
- Interactive sound and light system
- Vintage cart
- Coat hanging rail
- Large easel and blackboard for displaying your seating plan
- Original red Victorian postbox for your cards
- Toilets - ladies, gents and disabled - all supplied with toilet tissue and a selection of toiletries.
- The Leveret Suite - a fully furnished spacious room where the bridal party can prepare, including toilet and shower
- The Tallet - A further large room suitable as an alternative ceremony room
- The Gallery - Furnished with comfortable seating
- A selection of garden furniture to seat 20-30 on the terrace
- Large fire pit supplied with logs
- Allocated parking area alongside the building with electric point for visiting street food vans
- External lighting and sound system
There is also a selection of additional items available for hire.
Image: Jenny & Hannah Wedding Photography
For further information and to book a viewing, visit harefieldbarn.co.uk