Wedding signage: What to say
23 Sep 2014
We’re delighted to be joining the WeddingSite team and sharing an insight into our world of creative event design at Pocketful of Dreams. In our guest posts on WeddingSite we’ll be sharing inspiration and ideas to help you plan your own stylish wedding day. First off we thought we’d share some ideas about a design element that provides a raft of creative opportunities: wedding signage.
WEDDING SIGNAGE: WHAT TO SAY
From the communication of vital information to beautiful décor pieces, signage at weddings is becoming more and more prevalent and we are big fans! In fact the photographs here all show examples of signs we have created and used at our client’s events. Here are our top tips for introducing some wedding signs into your day:
• Think about practical information that well help your day run more smoothly. For example, signposts to the venue if you are a little off the beaten track or reserved signs for your family in the ceremony room.
• Why not consider wedding signage as an alternative for printed stationery items? For instance, instead of printing an Order of Service booklet for each of your guests, create one large sign that gives guests a breakdown of the day.
• If you are planning something a little quirky for your day (and remember, a photo booth may not seem quirky to you, but it may well do to your Nan) then wedding signage is a great way to communicate your hopes and plans and ensures your guests feel relaxed and clear on what they’re supposed to be doing and when.
• Now of course, signs shouldn’t just be reserved for the practical! They also make for great decor items and props, injecting fun and adding different textures, shapes and interest to your day, such as the Love Letters sign that Pocketful of Dreams have used for one our weddings, which is available to hire or buy.
• Display your initials, new surname, wedding date or other key personal details such as the story of how you met or your personal nicknames for a great way to add some personal touches into your day
WEDDING SIGNAGE: HOW TO SAY IT
Think about how you can make, hire or buy signage that will perfectly complement your day, making it relevant and personal:
• Textures like yarn, nails, hessian or wood work perfectly for a rustic or country style wedding.
• For a more modern affair, look for interesting typography and graphical imagery, printed on luxurious stock.
• Or if vintage is your thing, then consider soft, muted colours and fabrics, displayed in vintage styled frames or even embroidery hoops.
• Blackboards are wonderful for signs; either on their own or displayed in fancy frames in keeping with your design concept.
• Look for ways to complement your printed stationery. For example, if you have a personalised monogram or motif across your day stationery then try to incorporate that into your signage for a cohesive look.
• And finally, don’t forget to think about how you are going to display your signs; will they prop up against something, are they freestanding, do you need something to hang them from (check with your venue before you invest!) or do they need a stand to be displayed on?
To discuss how you can incorporate signage into your wedding day or for more details on our wedding design, styling and delivery services, email email@example.com
See you next month!
Creative Event Designer @ Pocketful of Dreams
Follow me: @POD_Vicki