Get the look: Vixen bridal make-up Vs Virginal bridal make-up
19 Nov 2017
Two contrasting bridal hair and make-up looks to help you decide what is right for you
There is no rule book anymore when it comes to bridal hair and make-up, it really all depends on the modern bride’s preference and theme... and, of course, her personality. Some brides opt for a really sexy look that emulates a red carpet celebrity, and others go for a classic style. Surprisingly, there is a fine line between these two make-up looks, so make sure you know the differences and the right one for you. Hair and make-up artist, Kelli Waldock, shares the simple tutorials for each look.
Get the Vixen Bridal look
1. Apply a good quality primer suited to your skin. Airbase primer was used on Meg for the Vixen Bridal look, followed by the Airbase airbrushing foundation. The primer ensures the foundations sits nicely, without sinking into lines. Airbrushing make-up is applied gradually building up to desired coverage; this is a full coverage.
2. It is really important to prime the eyelids again after foundation application to ensure that the shadows stay on for the entire day. Urban Decay Primer Potion was used on Meg.
3. Build up the black eyeshadow gradually to create a smokey effect. Be aware that all eye shapes vary, so use the socket to guide you and apply so that when the eyes are open the shadow remains on the lid curving up towards the brow bone, but not on it.
4. Intensify the look by applying the shadow underneath the eye, and then use a blending brush to create a smokey effect.
5. Add black kohl liner on the waterline to create depth to the smoky look, and apply mascara.
6. False lashes are a must for this look - long lashes that feather and vary in length and almost reach the eyebrows when the eyes are open. This adds the essential sultry vixen flutter for this bridal look.
7. With such strong smokey eyes, the eyebrows need to be defined with gel, wax, shadow or pencil. Keep them soft in shape and not too angular.
8. Contour the cheekbones and add a little highlighter on the cheekbone. This is quick and subtle just so it can be caught on camera in the light.
9. This look is finished with a very soft pink-nude lip colour suited to the skin tone. Gloss is essential to complete this sexy bridal make-up look, so the lips look shiny and kissable.
Hair tips for this look
For this look you can either leave your hair completely loose; adding some volume with dry shampoo and back-brushing underneath the crown section of the hair, and adding shine with serum, then fixing the hair with spray. Or if you’d rather your hair up, to show off your neck and dress detail, choose a subtle quiff, by brushing the front section of hair up and back and pinning in place, and creating a semi-messy, modern bun at the back of the head. Some brides may choose the up-do for the ceremony and the loose hair for the reception. A Vixen Bridal look is more likely to focus on show-stopping earrings rather than pretty hair accessories or a veil.
Get the Virginal Bridal look
1. Prep in the same way as 1 and 2 from the Vixen Look.
2. Instead of the dark shadows used for the Vixen, for this Virginal Bridal look apply nude matte eyeshadow. This opens the eyes more and gives a clean, classic touch.
3. Use black liner to create a feline flick; this flick needs to be quite thin and don’t take it too high, but imagine an invisible line joining the tip of the flick to the tip of the eyebrows. If the flick is too big, this look will not be virginal but too retro or edgy. Bring the liner cleanly under the eye too.
4. Add mascara on top and bottom lashes.
5. Conceal any under eye circles, so this look is fresh and classic.
6. Add volume false lashes, so less length and more thickness for this look; this enhances the liner of the flick.
7. Define eyebrows with powder to create soft definition.
8. This look has pink blusher subtly applied to the apples of the cheeks. It is a softer look overall. To apply to the apples of the cheeks, smile then blush on the raised cheeks and blend slightly up towards the cheekbones.
9. The virginal make-up look is all about softness, so add a soft pink matte colour to the lips to complete.
Hair tips for this look
Create a clean, but soft, up-do for this look. Brides can opt for a classic bridal take on a top knot, using a doughnut ring to keep the hair in place, but still with a romantic soft appearance and perfect for fitting a veil beneath, or a tiara, on. Straighten thick or wavy hair before putting up and pinning into place, fixing the look with spray. Brides can also opt for a side bun, which is very elegant and demure.