Top tips on finding your perfect wedding day lingerie
27 Aug 2014
It's important to choose the right lingerie for your big day. There’s no great secret to finding the perfect underwear to go with your gorgeous gown, but it is something you should spend a bit of time on.
We asked Sapphire Pink’s founder Bridget-Clare O’Keeffe for expert tips on finding your perfect wedding day lingerie
- First and foremost get fitted. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size and as a result are not getting the most out of their underwear. Rigby and Peller recommend fittings every six to 12 months. This is almost always a free service that will make a huge difference.
- Remember that you want to have a smooth silhouette. Consider seamless or control underwear.
- When choosing the colour of your underwear stay away from very bright whites as these will often show through fabric. Ivory or flesh colours will allow your underwear to seamlessly become part of your dress.
- If your dress is made of fine fabrics remember that underwear made from materials such as lace could show through and break the softness that the fabric of your dress creates. Lace underwear may also irritate the skin if you are not used to wearing it.
- There are fabulous specialist convertible bras on the market that are made for strapless or backless dresses. It's wonderful to have these as a staple in your wardrobe anyway so invest in good quality as they will last you many years.
- If you are wearing a strapless neck line remember not to wear a bra with straps in the morning before you put on your wedding dress as the marks on your shoulders may take a few hours to disappear.
- When considering wearing hold- ups or tights think about what you are used to. If you decide to go for hold-ups, as they are a lot cooler and make us feel that little bit sexier, make sure you get used to wearing them beforehand. Your wedding day isn't the time to try anything for the first time, underwear styles included.
- If you decide to wear a corset or suspenders make sure that you have a professional fitting. Long gone are the days of whale bone and shallow breathing. Corsets can be very supportive and offer a kind silhouette to your hips and waist. Suspender belts must be worn just below the smallest part of your waist and should fit you as you would want the waistband of your knickers to, neither too loosely nor too tight.
- Leave buying your underwear until the last month or so when you are confident that your weight won't change. Most brides will lose a few pounds before their big day – you want your underwear to fit like a glove.
- It’s a good idea to take your dress with you when having your underwear fitted as the lingerie specialists will be able to take into account the delicate fabrics and complicated neck or back lines. Trying the entire ensemble on underneath your dress is essential to ensure that nothing is visible and that everything is comfortable.
- Don't be afraid to have one set of underwear for your wedding day and one set for your wedding night. Practicality has to play a role in your choice for your dress, while your wedding night choice can express more of your personality.
- Our favourite bridal lingerie adorns the windows of Rigby and Peller while our sexy 'evening of' choice would have to come from Agent Provocateur. Have fun with shopping for this part of your outfit, it is after all the foundation to every bride’s dream of the perfect dress.
For further information visit www.sapphirepink.co.uk To book a consultation call 0207 381 6464 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About Sapphire Pink
Launched in 2013, Sapphire Pink is the ultimate destination for brides-to-be looking for complete bridal beauty and pampering. Offering a comprehensive menu of bespoke services to prepare brides, grooms and the bridal party for their wedding day, Sapphire Pink is the first personal concierge service of its kind in the UK.
With a dedicated team of highly qualified, renowned health and wellbeing professionals, Sapphire Pink works individually with every client to create a tailored programme of beauty treatments, personal training, nutritional coaching, fragrance consultations, and bridal hair and make-up services. Whether the focus is on reaching a weight loss goal, achieving radiant, flawless skin or boosting body confidence, the personalised approach ensures that every client looks and feels their best on their wedding day.