24 Sep 2013
Finding the perfect wedding venue can be hard work, so here’s our top tips of questions to ask and, advice from the professionals
• Does the venue suit your theme? Or does it immediately provide one for you?
• How many weddings do they host a day there? If you want to be the only bride at the ball you won’t want to be bumping into another in the toilet.
• Is the room big enough to accommodate all your guests?
• Is there an in-house co-ordinator who will be looking after the little details of your day?
• What equipment do they provide and what will you need to hire? For example linen, plates, glasses but also things like cake knives.
• What’s the fee and what does it include. Some venues include table menus and plans in their fees which saves costs on your other stationery.
• Will they dress the room or do you?
• Are candles allowed? Some stately homes won’t allow them.
• Do they have in-house catering or a list of recommended caterers?
• Can you bring in a caterer of your choice and if so, will they have access to the kitchen, power, running water etc?
• Does the price include a buffet for the evening reception?
• Can you supply your own alcohol? Is there a corkage charge? At some venues you’ll need to double check they have a license to serve alcohol.
• What about entertainment? Is it allowed?
• Do you need to hire any sound/lighting equipment?
• How late can the evening reception go onto and are there any noise ordinances you need to be aware of that means a band has to stop or a party move indoors from a certain time?
• If there’s rooms, what room rates can you offer guests and how many rooms can you guarantee at that rate.