The Maldives voted top location for honeymoon couples
16 Mar 2016
Couples see the Maldives as the ultimate luxury island paradise, with the holiday destination scoring the top spot for honeymooners, Kuoni’s worldwide trends report shows.
With its unique collection of all-island resorts and over-water villas, the Maldives continues to set the pace in luxury travel and scores higher than any other destination on customer satisfaction.
The worldwide holiday company has seen holidays with an adventure, cultural or touring element as part of the itinerary grow at twice the pace of stay-put beach breaks over the past two years, and the report has also unveiled the top locations for honeymoons in 2016.
Same-sex honeymoons are also on the rise, according to Kuoni. Over 15,000 same-sex marriages have taken place since it was introduced in England and Wales in 2014, according to the Office for National Statistics. The increase has resulted in demand for luxury travel advice from companies able to guide couples on the legal and cultural positions in different destinations.
When it comes to creating big life moments, from seeing wildlife in its natural habitat to experiencing iconic sights such as the Great Wall of China, more than *60 per cent of British adults are prepared to invest more than the average holiday in making their wish list a reality.
Other key findings about honeymoons include:
- Snorkelling with turtles in turquoise-blue waters remains one of the top wish list experiences for honeymoon couples this year.
- Honeymooners are now spending an average of £5,902 in total on their trip, up from £5,743 last year, backing up a trend for more adventure, upgraded luxury and once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
- The most popular month to book a Kuoni honeymoon is January.
- The average honeymoon duration is 13 days.
- 11.6 per cent of Kuoni honeymoon bookers put their honeymoon on a John Lewis gift list in 2015.
- Indonesia has seen the biggest rise in the top 10 and Bali is a favourite as it’s a perfect destination to visit weather-wise during the wedding-boom months.
- Vietnam has jumped five places in the past year to the number 11 spot, showing the popularity of adventure touring over a classic beach stay.
The top 20 honeymoon destinations for 2016 are:
- Indonesia (Bali)
- Sri Lanka
- St Lucia
- South Africa
*Figures from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2,035 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 18th-19th January 2016. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).