84% of millennial brides use social media on their wedding day
02 Aug 2017
Brides are becoming addicted to social media from the moment they are engaged, as this research reveals
Image: Vincent2004/ Shutterstock
Of the 90% millennial brides-to-be getting married in 2017, it has been reported that a staggering 84% use social media on their wedding day and 19% use their mobile phones during the wedding party.
The research by Onbuy.com, which assessed the social media behaviour of 837 brides, also discovered that 78% announce their engagement on social media within 24 hours, while a further 11% share it digitally within one week.
When asked how they use online platforms to plan their wedding, 78% cited Pinterest as their go-to app for inspiration - with 67% admitting to setting up a wedding board before they were engaged.
However, the picture perfect world of social media can also be held responsible for the 42% of brides who claimed that looking at wedding posts from other people made them feel anxious about their own big day.
The research also unearthed the following interesting statistics:
• 64% of Brits request their guests to use a unique hashtag when uploading Instagram photos
• 11% admit they would rather not have photos shared of their wedding posted online
• 7% of people request that their wedding be unplugged.
In response to the findings, OnBuy.com offers its eight rules of digital wedding etiquette:
- As a wedding guest, be sure to check that the bride and groom have not requested an unplugged wedding.
- Do not post a photo of the bride under ANY circumstance before the wedding starts.
- As long as the tipsy best man’s speech may be, be sure not to be tempted to scroll though social media whilst they are talking.
- Gained 247 likes on your new engaged relationship status? Do not feel you must invite them all to your wedding.
- Keep your wedding hashtag short and sweet.
- As a bride or groom, put your phone away on the special day.
- If you are feeling anxious for your big day, do not compare yours to other people’s wedding uploads - envy is your worst enemy.
- Embrace it. From the Pinterest board planning, to the photos afterwards, social media may help capture the memories that wedding planners and photographers might not.