02 Jun 2011
A marquee is a great setting for a wedding, allowing you to personalise the style to your individual tastes
You may think a marquee is only reserved for those getting married in the summer but the truth is they’re an ideal wedding venue throughout the year. With advances in quality of the materials and heating facilities, you don’t have to worry these days about the British weather. The marquee on the lawn is a classic setting for a wedding reception but these days marquees can be raised almost anywhere. They could be the main venue for the reception or they could also be used as an extension to an existing venue, especially if you have a large number of guests coming for the evening reception.
A marquee is a blank canvas giving you the opportunity to apply any theme you wish to make your own bespoke day.
Marquee companies have a wide range of background colours, chairs, flooring and drapes that will suit your theme. Amazing floral displays and lighting can really make a fairytale setting. A good marquee hire company will be able to advise you on all aspects of the planning and styles available.
Here are a few points to consider when planning your marquee requirements:
• Flooring: include a section suitable for dancing if required. A covered path leading to the marquee is a good idea just in case the weather turns bad
• Furniture: Most marquee companies will have a good choice of chairs and tables available. Remember to place windows and doors to the marquee in good positions especially if your venue overlooks beautiful countryside
• Heating: Even in the middle of summer, the evenings can get a bit chilly so you may wish to have portable heaters on standby
• Decorations: There is so much scope to do this yourself with the addition of hiring decorative linings for the ceilings, flowers and table coverings. With the right lighting and a few choice pieces, an elegant, inexpensive effect can be achieved
• Entertainment: Much like a building, a marquee can house any type of entertainment but remember, if your marquee is in a garden consider your neighbours with the noise. Whatever you decide to do, a marquee is a great opportunity for you to create the atmosphere and style you want.