Liverpool couples are the happiest in the UK, research reveals
08 Jul 2019
A nationwide study revealed that 48% of married Liverpudlians say they have an extremely happy union
A nationwide study of British couples revealed that 48% of married Liverpudlians say they have an 'extremely happy union', compared to a national average of 38%.
The study was commissioned by family-owned jewellers, Beaverbrooks, to celebrate their 100-year anniversary.
They also found that Liverpudlian couples spent the most quality time together at 27 hours every week and that 48% tell their spouse they love them every single day.
Top 10 cities with the happiest marriages
- Liverpool – 48%
- Nottingham – 47%
- Plymouth – 44%
- Cardiff – 43%
- London – 43%
- Sheffield – 42%
- Stoke on Trent – 42%
- Leeds – 41%
- Newcastle – 41%
- Oxford – 41%
The research also revealed a list of hints and tips from couples who had been happily married for more than 10 years on how to maintain wedded bliss, with ‘knowing when to apologise’ and ‘always being reliable’ coming joint first at 46%.
Top 20 secrets of a happy marriage, according to happily married Brits
- Know when to apologise – 46%
- Be reliable – 46%
- Never take each other forgranted – 44%
- Say ‘I love you’ regularly – 43%
- Always find time for each other – 43%
- Learn to agree to disagree – 42%
- Always kiss goodbye – 42%
- Kiss regularly – 41%
- Share the household burden – 41%
- Always share a bed – 40%
- Share a sense of humour – 39%
- Know that your friendship is the most important thing – 38%
- Really listen to each other – 38%
- Forget the bad, remember the good – 35%
- Never have secrets – 34%
- Share special experiences – 33%
- Hold hands in public – 32%
- Always tell the truth, even if it will hurt – 30%
- Have in-jokes – 30%
- Never go to sleep on an argument – 26%
Lorna Haddon, head of diamonds and jewellery at Beaverbrooks, said: “Although many traditions have changed over the last 100 years, some things will always stay the same when it comes to building a loving relationship. Whether it’s saying ‘I love you’ every day, or always finding time for your significant other – it seems there are a few key pointers that will help keep marriages happy and content for partners all over the UK."
To celebrate the results, Beaverbrooks is searching for the nation’s happiest married couple to receive £1,000 worth of jewellery and become the face of the brand’s 100-year campaign.
Partners who think they might have what it takes to be crowned the UK’s happiest married couple, should nominate via the Beaverbrooks website before Tuesday 30th July and explain in 100 words or less why they deserve the coveted title.
For more wedding tips visit our wedding advice section here.