Fig and Duck: the unusual wedding breakfast combination
13 Sep 2018
Give your wedding menu the wow factor by embracing unusual and unique food combinations such as fig and duck
In the Old Testament, figs are mentioned as the fruits of joy and fertility. Figs are, nowadays, widely used in the kitchen; not only are they full of vitamins and minerals but they can also be combined with sweet back taste ingredients such as grapes, Italian proscuitto, balsamic vinegar, red onion and duck. Here, London-based wedding planner, Roberta Sabbatini, shares her ideas for creating a fig and duck-based wedding menu that is truly unique.
Welcome drink: Fig cocktail
- Gin to taste
- Tonic water to taste
- Fig purée
- Lime juice
- Peach juice
Mix all the ingredients together in a blender with some ice. Serve decorated with herbs such as thyme, rosemary and parsley.
Image: Alexandra Golova via Unsplash
Appetiser: Mixed platter
- 500g of Italian prosciutto
- 6 boiled eggs
- 500g of red grapes
- 150g of giant green olives
- 10 figs
- Olive oil, salt to taste, and red onion chutney
- Mix all the elements up on a serving tray.
- In two different mini ramekins place some olive oil with balsamic vinegar and red onion chutney.
Image: Brooke Lark via Unsplash
Main course: Duck with figs
- 1kg of sliced duck breast (make sure to buy the very tender cut)
- 8 figs
- 2 spoons of olive oil; half red onion, salt, white wine
- Rosemary, thyme, parsley
- Balsamic vinegar and honey to taste
- Heat a frying pan; add the olive oil and, when warm, the chopped red onion.
- Add the duck breast and let it golden one side at a time; add some white wine (no more than half a glass).
- Once the olive oil evaporates; you can add some water to make sure the sauce doesn't dry out; add half of the figs and let them cook.
- Once the duck is cooked, drain the sauce in a separate bowl.
- Add the herbs, honey and balsamic vinegar to the sauce
- On a serving tray, place the duck and add salt to taste; decorate with the figs and sauce
Top tip: Add salt to meat only after being cooked. Adding it earlier will harden it.
Wedding cake: Cheese, figs and blueberries
- 1 cake tier stand
- 8 round soft cheeses of your choice (brie or taleggio are a good bet)
- 1 box of fresh blueberries
- 6 figs
Unwrap the cheeses and place the blueberries all around the tops, decorating with the figs. Serve with any cheese chutney, preferably with a sweet back taste.
Image: Billy Pasco via Unsplash
You can even extend the culinary theme to your wedding decorations by using colours of the food on the tables - from the centrepieces and favours, to the place settings. White and pale purple flowers will add a more vibrant pop of colour that complements the existing scheme.