Chair Covers – What to look for
19 Jul 2011
Chair Covers – What to look for
Professional venue styling and wedding chair covers make a huge difference to any wedding or big occasion. Your chair cover and styling company should take their responsibilities to ensure your day is absolutely perfect, as seriously as you do! Kathryn King from Ambience Venue Styling has put together a few tips to help you.
• Meet with your supplier at your venue to make sure that their chair covers fit the chair. We carry a range of chair cover sizes and colours to ensure the very best fit. If you can’t meet at the venue, then at least meet at your home or the supplier’s showroom and look at photos of previous set ups at your venue - I put all of my photos on my Face Book page, which is a great way to keep brides and grooms up to date with all the set ups I do. The meeting will also give you the opportunity to view the colour and quality of the covers and sashes. If your supplier hasn’t done weddings at your venue before, and doesn’t offer to go to the venue and do a fit check, then be a little bit wary.
• Take recommendations. Your venue will have seen lots of chair cover companies work in their venue and will know who has done a great job for them before and what/who works best in their venue. Listen to what they have to say – they do this all the time!
• Listen to your friends who recently married. Again, they’ve been through the process and will be able to advise you on what they did and the people they spoke to. You don’t have to ‘copy’ them - each of our venue set ups is bespoke to each couple using their choice of colours and materials, but if people you know and trust have done some of the research already and found a great supplier – take advantage! We get lots of referrals from friends of happy brides and grooms who used our services – word of mouth and reputation are very important.
• Don’t base your final decision on price. It is very tempting to make your judgment on price – after all, it is the common denominator and the basic thing you can compare the suppliers on. We understand budgets are sometimes tight, but the difference between a £4.00 chair cover and a £2.00 chair cover may well be very noticeable on the day. Check the quality, services and fabrics on offer, and make sure you’re comparing like for like.
• Look out for hidden costs. Some companies may charge you for meetings, laundry etc. At Ambience we work with our clients to create their perfect look. Once everything is agreed, all items are quoted up front and recorded on an order form, so both parties have a record of exactly what’s been agreed, so there are no nasty surprises!
• Check with your supplier that all covers are freshly laundered and ironed before every wedding – you’d be surprised...
• Find out who will be setting up your room on the day. If you spend time getting to know your stylist, you want to know that they will at least be overseeing the set up on the day. Your stylist will be liaising with your venue and other suppliers beforehand so should know exactly what’s going on and you must be comfortable with them acting on your behalf.
• Look at your supplier’s portfolio. Make sure you are impressed with what they have done previously, particularly at your venue; ask to see before and after pictures to see what a difference the covers have made.
• It’s always good to check whether a supplier has done weddings at your venue before. But don’t immediately dismiss them if they haven’t. They might be looking for an opportunity to dress weddings at your venue and might offer you a deal in return for an ‘in’ with that venue. Just make sure you are comfortable with the work they have done elsewhere.
• Don’t be tempted to cut costs by hiring ‘DIY’ covers you put on yourself.