10 environmentally friendly wedding planning tips
02 Sep 2014
More and more couples are making environmentally-friendly choices as part of their wedding plans – with a little bit of thought, green can be the new white…
In all the excitement of a wedding, it is easy to forget about the environment. But the good news is that there are many ways to be kind to the planet without compromising your wedding in any way. In some cases, it may even give your day an extra romantic touch. Here are some ideas:
• Choose wine with real corks. The increasing use of screw-top bottles is causing Spanish and Portuguese farmers to destroy the cork forests that are home to the endangered animals. Plus, it’s that bit more classy.
• Hire local entertainers to cut down on their travelling and remember, acoustic musicians also reduce the amount of power used. Acoustic music can often be more personal and romantic, perfect for your wedding day.
• Choose a local venue with environmentally-sustainable ethics.
• Plant a tree in celebration of your marriage. It’s a friendly gesture towards the environment, as well as signifying your love to one another in something beautiful and natural.
• Decorate your venues with pots of plants rather than cut flowers. Kate and William chose to decorate Westminster Abbey with six potted field maple trees, which could then be re-planted following the event.
• Give homemade favours in re-useable or recyclable containers.
• Choose confetti made from fresh or dried flowers, recycled paper or bird-friendly seeds.
• Young plants or seeds to plant are another nice idea to give to guests, and something that little bit different.
• Consider a reception venue within walking distance, or even at the same location as your ceremony. With so many venues licensed for marriages nowadays, you will be spoilt for choice.
• If you must use transport, hire an eco-friendly, but extremely romantic horse and carriage.