1 in 5 South East couples plan to marry abroad
13 Jan 2017
A recent study of South East couples has discovered a high proportion wish to marry abroad
Recent research by holiday home letting company The Big Domain has shed light on South East couples' attitudes towards classic wedding traditions.
While it was discovered that 30% of couples would still choose a church service, a fifth confirmed their intent to marry abroad.
The traditional wedding, it seems, is becoming less popular with a third of South East couples claiming that they would not stick to any wedding traditions on their wedding day.
The research also revealed the following findings:
- The average wedding in the South East costs over £9,000
- South West couples who would prefer a destination wedding would offer to pay for their guests' meal at the venue but not their flights or hotel
- Almost a third from the South East think the Bride’s family should pay for the wedding while only 18% think the groom's family should pay for the big day
- Two thirds of couples stated that they had paid for their big day themselves (68%)
- The average amount for guests to spend on the couple’s gift is £24, however South East couples are cheaper to please as they expect a gift costing around £20
The top 10 things South East couples would spend their wedding budget on are:
- The venue- 46%
- The honeymoon – 38%
- The catering – 37%
- The dress – 26%
- The groomsmen suits – 5%
- Wedding cars – 4%
- Wedding cake – 3%
- Bridesmaids' dress – 2%
- Stag do – 1%
- Hen do – 1%
To meet growing demand of couples opting for a destination wedding, The Big Domain has created the Ultimate Wedding Planner to help soon-to-be brides and grooms plan their special day - whether at home or abroad.